Sunday 19 January 2014

Chocolate Caramel Swirl Cheesecake

One of the great pleasures in life is taking a recipe and experimenting with it to make it your own. If you're a keen baker, you'll know exactly what this is about. You find a recipe that sounds kind of interesting. Then your brain gets a little over-excited and before you know it, you're taking some things out and then throwing in other things and hoping you'll have created the 'next taste sensation'.

Unfortunately, sometimes the results of these experiments are, oh what's the word? Oh yes, disgusting!! In truth, it's kind of like Edison at the lightbulb; you find several ways NOT to make a cake.

This week, I've been experimenting with cheesecake, and I've learned quite a lot.

Lesson no.1: Read the template recipe properly!!! On my first attempt I'd intended to use half the sugar and use golden instead of white. Then I forgot to put the sugar in altogether. Oops. Once the cheesecake was cooked, I took it out of the oven to cool and realised 40 minutes later that the template recipe had said 'turn off the oven and leave cheesecake in to cool'.

Lesson no.2: If you're going to make a baked cheesecake, and the cream cheese you use is quite 'loose' then you need extra binding agent. On my second attempt I used just mascarpone, which is a very loose cheese. When I tried to slice it up, it began falling apart completely! Disaster!! After consulting a cheesecake-expert, I learned I should have included 3-5 eggs, rather than the 2 the template recipe stated because it will work to bind the mixture together. Aha!

Lesson no.3: Offering people free tasters of cheesecake is one of the fastest ways to make friends. It's true!

Lessons learned, I'm now adding this chocolate caramel swirl cheesecake to my product listing, and it will be available for purchase! Whoop whoop! 


No comments:

Post a Comment