Sunday 26 October 2014

Reviews: Fun With Food! CoYo and Genius Muffins

Over the last few weeks or so, there have been a lot of new, coeliac-friendly products hitting the shelves, and every time one announces its arrival, I feel that desperate urge to give it a damned-good taste-test. After all, it's research that helps people, right? Right!? (The correct answer here is 'yes') So, with great excitement, I took myself off to a local supermarket and made a couple of purchases.

In recent months, I've had to give up on lactose, and although I've found great lactose-free alternatives to many products (mainly with thanks to Lactofree's greatness), I did get rather excited when I came across CoYo. A yoghurt that's free from dairy and gluten, and positively loaded with goodness?! Even better, it was made with raw chocolate. Yum!


There are other flavours available - Natural, and Mango - but frankly, the idea of raw chocolate sounded far more appealing!


As you can see from the pic, the texture is slightly mousse-like and very decadent; silky and creamy and just lovely. Unfortunately, I have to say I didn't really care for the taste. The flavour combination was a bit weird for me. The raw chocolate has a very strong bitterness, and was a little bizarre against the sweetness of the coconut. Having said that, I imagine this would be great for coconut fans and although I didn't enjoy it, I would recommend giving it a try. You can pick one up at a local Tesco for £1.69 (at the time of publishing this post).

But for me, the great find of my week was the Genius Blueberry Treat Muffins.


Generally speaking, I don't like reviewing cake products on my blog because, well, it seems a little counter-intuitive to say 'Hey, this is a GREAT product...now please buy my cakes!' but this one really does deserve a review. For one, I despise fruit in cake (why would anyone ruin perfectly good cake with fruit!???!?), but this is the one time I have ever been able to make an exception!


There are two muffins in a pack, each in its own tulip paper case. Don't you just love them? They're golden on the top and bursting with blueberry goodness. And if you aren't sold immediately on the way they look, you will be on the first taste.


They are, without a doubt, the lightest, moistest, most sweetly decadent store-bought cake I've ever had the luxury to try! They have an almost creamy taste to them, that reminded me somehow of a milkshake. They're fluffy and absolutely packed with juicy blueberries, so there's at least one in every single bite. In fact, the only downside to these morsels is that they're rather high on the sugar and fat scales. But they're so delicious, they're almost worth the extra time on the treadmill..


...which may well be a very good thing! You can pick up your very own pack of muffins for just £2 from your local Tesco (and you'll be pleased to hear they have a good shelf-life on them but can also be frozen...if they last that long!).

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment