Sunday 7 December 2014

Gingerbread, Gingerbread and ChocoNut Biscotti

Why was Cinderella no good at football?

Because her coach was a pumpkin.

That was how my weekend got started, courtesy of my good friend, Clare. Much eye-rolling took place while she texted me a series of such jokes. It's a VERY good thing I love the sort of jokes you get in Christmas crackers! 

Moving on, today we went to pick up our Christmas tree. This is a long-held family tradition and it's probably my most treasured. We drive to a farm in the middle of the Dorset countryside (I still don't know where exactly) and my sister and I pick out the BIGGEST trees we can find. We've been doing this since we were 4 years old and I don't think my Dad, my husband or my sister's husband have ever had a say in what tree they lumber onto the car!

The Great Christmas Tree, 2014
So...our Christmas officially starts once the tree is up and when Mum's birthday (tomorrow) has passed. But believe, the prep is underway! Presents have been purchased, advent calendars have been started, and I've been working on other Christmas delights. In other words, FOOD!



A couple of weeks ago, I perfected a recipe for chocolate biscotti with chocolate chunks, pistachios and whole almonds; something I'm choosing to call ChocoNut Biscotti. And it's ohhhh my goodness good (she said, humbly). It's delicious on its own, but dunked in a thick hot chocolate or, even better, a perfectly brewed mug of coffee, it's even better. I'm officially not allowed to make it any more unless it's for an order because I'm getting fat again! But it's sooo crunchy and chocolatey and just...yum.



This week, though, has been ALL about the gingerbread! I've never made gingerbread before, but it's festive and fun to make, so out came the cookie cutters, treacle (which I need to buy more of because I've made so much I've accidentally used the whole tin!), and rolling pin. I made a HUGE batch, which was a very good thing because everyone has been stealing little bits of it away!


As you can see, the piping needs a little bit of work, but I added enough Christmas spices to put a smile on the face of any grinch, and they came out firey, sweet, soft and chewy. The only problem with them is trying to stop eating them, because they're small enough to convince yourself that you aren't eating too much!


And, of course, trying to stop the cats from stealing them, because I'm pretty certain they aren't meant to have ginger! Anyway, I'll be making more very soon to pass out to family and friends, and don't forget you can order some for yourself, by dropping me an email at thebuttercupbaker@gmail.com. A bag of gingerbread starts at £1.50.

There will, of course, be more posts before Christmas, and very soon, I'll post my favourite gluten free Christmas products, so keep your eyes peeled for that, along with some tips for surviving the festive season as a coeliac. In the meantime, remember that a biscotti is for life, not just for moustaches.

Much laughter being had, as off-camera, Gizzy was trying to steal the biscotti from my hand!
Have a great week, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment