Saturday 3 May 2014

A Quick Digression From Baking To Talk About....Ice Cream!

I promise I'll get back to baking after this, but it's of absolutely vital, life-and-death importance that I tell you about this. Well, maybe not life and death, but I'm going to tell you anyway!

Like a lot of women, I'm something of an ice cream officionado. I've tasted almost every gluten free ice cream out there, and up until a couple of years ago, I would have said the chocolate gelato I had in Rome was the best. Or maybe Haagen Dazs Chocolate Pralines and Caramel. But then, one day, we decided to take a drive out to the New Forest, and on the way, we stopped for a little walk around Lyndhurst High Street.

That was when I first laid eyes on what would become one of the (increasingly growing) great loves of my life...Forest Glade Ice Cream.


Now, I'll grant you it doesn't look like anything terribly special from the outside, but on the offchance, I nipped in to see whether they do anything gluten free. And why yes, they do! With the exception of cookie crunch (which I've only ever seen once anyway), all of their flavours are totally gluten free AND they're made in-house, so you don't have to worry about some far-away factory making a mess of it.

And the best part is that, in addition to the usual flavours - chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, yaddi yaddi yaddah, they squirrel away at making interesting new ones. The shining glory in their crown HAS to be the pistachio. It's refreshing and delicious, as well as being creamy and light. But today, I found out they've introduced a brand new flavour - salted caramel. Hardly innovative, but utterly delicious because they have the ratio of salt to caramel spot on. Oh, and don't forget their sinful white chocolate ice cream with chunks of dark chocolate!

Clockwise from the spoon: pistachio, salted caramel, honeycomb, and white choc with dark choc chunks.

I must admit, it's a bit of a trek to get out there, so in the summer we tend to combine it with getting fruit from the Pick Your Own farm at Sopley, but for an occasional treat, it's well worth it. After all, look how happy I am!




No comments:

Post a Comment