Tuesday 11 March 2014

Ooh La La! Genius Croissants, Reviewed

That's right folks, today we're taking a little trip across the English Channel to France. Unfortunately, the only French I know means 'I am 13 years old' so I'll have to do all this in English.

If you're a fellow coeliac, you're probably already aware that the good people at Genius have released all-new croissants. You might recall they previously had sold this product, but after taking off their shelves, it seems they've worked their magic on them because not only are they back, they're more delicious than ever!

Let's start with the price. At £2.75 for two (reasonably sized) croissants from Tesco (they're also available in Asda), these are more of a decadent treat than a regular purchase, working out at around £1.35 each. This is less than you'd pay for a 'normal' croissant in, say, Starbucks, although it's worth bearing in mind they are larger than the Genius croissants.

The instructions on the pack say to heat in the oven for 9-10minutes at 190 degrees C. Refreshingly, these instructions turned out to be accurate. I say this with my tongue firmly in my cheek, as we coeliacs are all-too aware of how often heating instructions (albeit not those provided by Genius) turn out to be inaccurate.

Having removed my croissants from the oven, I let them cool before I feasted. I'm delighted to say they remained light, crispy and flaky, rather than reverting to tiny blocks, a la most gluten free items you have to heat before eating.

I chose to have mine with salted butter and good-quality set honey - a truly sumptuous breakfast. And ahh...that first bite. Little flakes of pastry crumbling away and melting on the tongue, finishing with a buttery sweetness that tells you you're eating something truly sinful but worth it. Those few extra pounds on the bathroom scales? Pah! Worth it. And I must say the butter and honey complemented the croissants perfectly. Another time, I think it would be worth turning them into almond croissants and pairing with some fruit and a good cup of coffee. What a perfect start to a busy day!


No comments:

Post a Comment