Saturday 19 April 2014

Easter Fun - Buried Egg Bunny Bum Cupcakes!

Wohoo! Easter is upon us. A time of unrelenting chocolate, family time and more chocolate!

This year, I wanted to do something a little different to share with my family for Easter, and a couple of days ago, I finally hit upon an idea while I was scouring the internet. I found a seriously great carrot cake cupcake, which was decorated with a bunny burrowing through a barrell of carrots. I wouldn't have been able to eat it, it looked that brilliant.

Anyway, I don't like to do blatant copies, but I did like the idea of the bunny bum. C'mon, doesn't it just sound adorable!? Say it with me. Bunny bums! But how to incoporate said bunny bottoms into a cupcake for Easter? Well, thanks to the Mini Eggs I had left over from a previous order, I decided to do buried eggs inside a cupcake, with a super-cute bunny, poking his head down towards it, hiding it away for Easter Sunday!

Now, I must tell you that I have never done any modelling before (sugar paste modelling, that is. Not that I've done any of the other kind either, mind!), so I'm absolutely over the chocolate moon at how they've turned out!

What do you think!?


I've also never made 'grass' from icing before, which is why one or two of the cupcakes have fairly ill-formed grass. But I worked it out in the end. If you want to give this a try, here's a tip - make sure you hold the nozzle slightly further from the cupcake than you think you need to. If you hold it too close, the 'blades of grass' merge together, rather than forming separate strands.

Oh, and here's a pic of the inside, with the hidden egg:
So there you go! Buried Egg Bunny Bum Cupcakes. I might need a slightly shorter name for them...

Happy Easter everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment