Tuesday 8 April 2014

WFBD Jam Doughnuts - A Review

As promised, what follows is a review of the jam doughnuts by the Wheat Free Bakery (Wheat Free Bakery Direct).
 

So...at first glance, they appear pretty promising. You get two in a pack for £1.49, which seems a reasonable price to me, although they are quite small (see picture). They're also quite squishy. What a great word. SQUISHY. Anyway, as a group, we're used to doughnuts you could kill, or at least mildly concuss someone with, so the general squishiness of them is encouraging.

The jam inside the doughnuts is plentiful, which is great to see, and the oozy jammy sticky sweetness (I'm very into adjectives today) works perfectly with the doughnut, especially since the sugar on the outside had either melted or slid off. I'm not sure which?



I can't go so far as to say this is my idea of the 'perfect' treat; it's still a bit dense to bite through, and the dough itself isn't as flavourful as I might like. But it would be a great treat for coeliac children and it would go very well with a cup of tea or a mug of coffee for an adult, especially for just £1.49 for two! However, be warned: if you can't eat two in two days, and you have nobody to share with, I strongly advise against purchase. They're nice doughnuts and they CAN be frozen. But they turn very tough once defrosted if you freeze them. DON'T DO IT!!!!

I'd give them a good 3 out of 5 stars and a jammy-fingered thumbs-up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment